WELCOME TO SAMPHIRE
An award winning smallholding in Norfolk.
Ethical farming is at the heart of Samphire and we have been recognised by the RSPCA for our commitment to animal welfare.
In case you didn’t know …
Samphire is owned and run by two Norfolk smallholders Karen and Jeff Nethercott (that’s us!). We used to have real jobs (Karen – corporate accountant, Jeff – in the building trade) but a few years ago we moved to a Norfolk smallholding and life changed forever.
Chickens and ducks were quickly followed by sheep, pigs and geese and the interest in smallholding became an obsession. In 2005 we gave up the day jobs and opened the first Samphire shop at Blickling Hall. A second shop opened in 2009.
The shops have now closed and the smallholding has become Samphire HQ. We have a commercial kitchen and a teeny farm shop at the smallholding where we make a lot of the goodies for our shop and local farmers markets.
Here’s a bit of history …
- Giles Coren wrote a rave review in The Times about our pork pies
- We won two RSPCA awards for commitment to animal welfare
- Won GTA awards 2 years running for pork pies and tiffin
- We were finalists in BBC Radio 4’s Food & Farming Awards
- We were finalists in two categories of the EDP’s Norfolk Food Awards
- We were second in the East Anglian finals of UKTV’s Local Food Heroes
- Gary Rhodes said our sausages were the best he’s ever tasted
- We were finalists in Aylsham Show’s Local Food Heroes
- Observer Food Monthly featured us as one of the best retailers in East Anglia
- We were finalists in the EDP Business Awards
- BBC Olive magazine feature us as one of their Food Heroes